Choosing a COLORBOND® fence for your home is a great idea – they require very little maintenance and are capable of withstanding even the harshest of Australian weather conditions.
They do require some upkeep though, and our top tips will keep your fence in great condition for many years!.
One of the most important things to remember with these fences is to make sure that there are no metal chips or filings remaining on the paintwork after the fence is initially installed. It just needs a quick hose and wipe down after it is first installed to make sure it is in top condition.
Key Point for Colorbond Fences:
- Always hose off pool water splashes before they fully dry
- Keep lead, copper, bare steel, stainless steel, timber and concrete off the fence so you don’t risk any damage or corrosion
- Minor scratches in the paint won’t affect the lifespan of the fence. It is better not to touch-up minor damage with paint because colours are unlikely to match over time
- Hose down the fence at least every six months (more frequently in coastal areas where marine salt spray is prevalent)
Other Top Tips to maintain your fence:
- Wash the surface with a mild solution of pure soap or mild non-abrasive kitchen detergent in warm water to remove any stubborn dirt or stains – use a soft sponge or cloth and be careful not to spend too much time cleaning any areas to prevent the formation of shiny spots on the fence
- Always rinse the fence thoroughly with clean water after cleaning
- Wipe away any cobwebs or debris
- Keep soil from building up along the bottom of the fence to prevent corrosion or mould / fungus formation
- Be careful not to spray any fertiliser on the fence when you are maintaining your garden beds. Fertilisers can contain corrosive chemicals which will damage the fence. Make sure to hose it off with clean water if you do accidentally get some on the fence.
- Remove any graffiti or paint splatter. Unfortunately even here on the beautiful Sunshine Coast we still see the odd spot of graffiti on fences around the area. Bluescope has very strict guidelines when it comes to graffiti removal without voiding your warranty. DuPont Graffiti Remover is approved by Bluescope and won’t affect your warranty. If you are unsure, give us a call and we can help you clean it up
If you are unsure how you should maintain your fence or would like us to take care of it for you – get in touch with our team and we will arrange a time to come and see you.