skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Browse through the list of frequently asked questions about fencing below.  If you can’t find the answer to your question, please contact us and we will be happy to help.

Click on the ‘+’ next to each question to view the associated answer.

Who is responsible for a dividing fence?

A dividing fence is owned equally by the adjoining neighbours if it is built on the common boundary line. Generally neighbours must contribute equally to building and maintaining a dividing fence.

What steps do I take to get the fence built/replaced?

Talk to your neighbour informally first about the dividing fence between your properties. If you both agree that work needs to be done, then you might not need to follow the processes in the Fences Act. You might be able to agree on the type of fence, the contractor that you will employ, how the costs of the fencing works will be paid and the placement of the dividing fence. If you are able to come to an agreement like this with your neighbour, then the fencing works can go ahead as agreed.

What is a Notice to Contribute to Fencing Work?

A Notice to Contribute is required if you and your neighbour fails to agree about the fence – or you want to ensure that all parts of the fencing process are agreed by both parties.

Download a notice here

You should write to your neighbour:

  • specifying the common boundary to be fenced
  • specifying the kind of fence you propose building
  • outlining a proposal for the fence including an estimate of the cost, the neighbour’s contribution and the method of construction. As a matter of courtesy two written quotes should be supplied. This letter is called a notice to fence

If you have given your neighbour a Notice to Contribute to Fencing Works, and you are unable to agree on construction or repair of a dividing fence, you can apply to QCAT. Applications can also be made to QCAT about other types of fence disputes including removal of an existing fence or compensation for damage to a fence. Visit:-

What should I look for when choosing a fence contractor?

It is always a good idea to check that they have a Fencing Contractor’s Licence. You can also look up the QBCC ( Qld Building and Construction Commission) Website to check whether there are any unresolved disputes or complaints at

Check their references and look at work they have done in your neighbourhood.

Some questions that may need answers:-

  • Do they offer the design and quality of materials that will meet your expectations?
  • Do they stand behind their work with a warranty and have they been in business long enough to make it of value?
  • Does their price include all parts of the fence construction?
  • Who will actually be doing your work? (Yes, there are plenty of clowns who think they are fencers!)

fence&garden has built a strong reputation for quality work and satisfaction for our customers with well-trained crews and select materials. We back our work with a 12 month warranty. We hope to become YOUR fence company.

Which type of material should I use on my fence?

Factors to consider are:

  • Local terrain
  • Wind, water and sun damage
  • Durability
  • Your budget

Does it matter which way the palings face?

Its a matter of personal choice which way you have the palings on a fence between neighbours – especially if it faces your patio. The palings are usually facing out on any sections that face a street or an easement.

Is the fence built right on the property line?

Our standard procedure is to place the posts dead centre on the boundary. However, we are happy to have all your fencing on your property if you wish.

Call us today to arrange a FREE QUOTE for your next fence, garden or landscaping project!

Back To Top